"LIFE ITSELF IS THE PROPER BINGE" - JULIA CHILD

Monday, April 11, 2011

Roman Inspired Salad

It's simple. It's easy. It's a must for any college student who is complaining about the food they eat because they don't have their parents around.

I made this salad over and over again with a few adjustments each time and I think this is one of my favorites. The slightly toasted pine nuts with lemon and Parmesan cheese totally complement the fried egg.

I know many people are looking at this wondering why would someone choose to place an egg on top of their salad?! It's because I like to cook my eggs medium so that when you break into it, the runny yolk mixes with the lemon juice and olive oil to create this bomb ass dressing. I know it's odd but it works. It works really, really well. I lived off of this salad in Rome because I couldn't get enough of the prosciutto. It has a great amount of protein and will add in some greens for those of us who lack that in our diet while being a student.

Ingredients:

Arugula salad

Prosciutto

1 egg

Handful of pine nuts

Lemon

Parmesan cheese (can substitute Feta)

Olive oil

Directions:
Heat a skillet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. On medium heat, toast the pine nuts until they start to turn a golden color. Once this happens place pieces of prosciutto in the pan with the nuts. Cook them enough so that they become a little cripsy. Once this happens, squeeze however much lemon juice you want. I'm a freak for citrus so I usually go a little crazy.

While you are doing this, heat a small skillet on medium high heat. Coat the pan with cooking spray so that the egg is easy to flip. Once the skillet is hot, crack the egg so that it doesn't run all over the place. Flip once until you are satisfied with how well done your egg is. Remove the egg and place on top of the arugula. Pour the toasted pine nuts and proscuitto over everything, and drizzle the remaining juices from the pan. If there isn't enough, add more lemon and olive oil.

Then, shave a few pieces of parmesan chesse to top it off! This recipe is great because you can add whatever else you love in your salads. Sometimes I add cherry tomatoes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment