"LIFE ITSELF IS THE PROPER BINGE" - JULIA CHILD

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Pumpkin Bread

 

Okay so it's summer and I chose to make pumpkin bread. Whatever. We all know it's delicious so why not? I sent my step dad on a wild goose chase around the store to find canned pumpkin and someone told him it wasn't sold during the summer months. Ya right. Sure enough he found it and I'm so glad he did.

This recipe is from my bestfriend, Laurel. Her mother has made it every year and sent it in a care package to her while at school. Little does she know, I usually consume half of the loaf, which Laurel probably isn't that happy about. When I asked for the recipe, Laurel said I should call it Laurel's Lovely Loaf. So there you go! This pumpkin bread is Laurel's and Laurel's only. But I've mastered it so I can finally make it on my own and stuff my face without eating her mother's.


This recipe makes a heck of a lot of pumpkin bread. If you want a scrumptious treat for your family and need to bake something for a party, I'd choose this recipe so you can have both! It also lasts for a ridiculously long time if you wrap it in plastic wrap and leave it in the fridge. It's by far the most moist pumpkin bread I have ever eaten. It's so good I will never stray from the recipe. Thanks Gayle and Laurel!



Combine the dry and wet ingredients. I'd recommend grating your own nutmeg because the flavor is very noticeable. 

If you aren't craving pumpkin yet, save this for the winter months.

Just do it.


This recipe can yield either 1 large loaf, 2 medium loaves, 3 small loaves or 2 mini muffin pans.

Ingredients:
4 1/2 cups of sugar
1 1/2 cups of oil
6 eggs
3 tbps. of baking soda with 1 cup of water
28 oz. can of pumpkin
5 cups of flour
1 tbsp. each of clove, nutmeg, and allspice
1 1/2 tbsp. each of cinnamon and salt
3/4 tbsp. of baking powder

Directions:

In a medium size bowl, combine 4 1/2 cups of sugar, 1 1/2 cups of oil and 6 eggs. Mix well and then add 3 tbsp. of baking soda with 1 cup of water. Then add 28 ounces of canned pumpkin. Mix well.

In another bowl, combine the dry ingredients, flour, clove, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, salt and baking powder. Afterward, add the dry mixed ingredients to the wet and mix well. 
Cook at 350 degrees. 15 minutes for the mini-muffin pans and 45-60 minutes for the other loaves. I checked mine every ten minutes because this bread cooks quickly towards the end.
Enjoy!



2 comments: