"LIFE ITSELF IS THE PROPER BINGE" - JULIA CHILD

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Baked Salmon in Foil Packets


While taking my end of the year exams, I found myself craving seafood regularly. So, I decided to make this recipe I found on the Food Network by Giada De Laurentiis, who by the way is my secret guilty pleasure. While on summer vacation, all I do now is watch either the Food Network or the Cooking channel, but whenever Giada is on, she is my go-to. Most likely because I miss Rome more and more every day.


Well, this recipe was a pleasant surprise. I must say I was pretty nervous trying to attempt these individual salmon packets but it was well worth it. So delicious and moist. The flavors of the shallots, lemon juice, dried oregano and thyme were such a nice compliment to the fish...I wouldn't change a thing! (Although, maybe just swapping the dried oregano for fresh instead).


Roasted asparagus with cracked pepper and salt. I think I might eat this with every meal, no joke. Thought you might like to stare at the pretty vegetable so I added a picture even though they aren't part of the salmon recipe. Not a bad complimentary side though ;)


Stir the tomatoes, shallots, 2 tablespoons of oil, lemon juice, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper in a medium bowl to blend. Look how pretty! The recipe called for dried oregano but I used fresh instead.


This picture reminded me of the book I used to read as a child, The Rainbow Fish. Look at the pretty, reflective scales!


Place the individual salmon fillet, oiled side down, on top of a piece of foil. Wrap the ends around the fish to create a boat-like structure that will hold in the tomato mixture.


Ladle the tomato mixture into the tinfoil boat, covering the salmon fillet.





My favorite wine. If you missed my previous post, buy this and try it out! It was just written up in Food & Wine Magazine as one of the top 5 best white wines for the price. Told ya!


After the salmon is done cooking, remove from the oven and unravel the sealed tinfoil packets. Beautiful, moist and flavorful fish awaits your consumption!


I served the fish with asparagus and some lemon, basil angel hair pasta. The juices from the tomatoes and shallots work wonderfully with everything on the plate. Top of with some freshly shaved parmigiana cheese.

Ingredients:

4 (5 ounces each) salmon fillets
2 teaspoons olive oil plus 2 tablespoons
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 cherry tomatoes, chopped
2 chopped shallots
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, (if you like lemon buy more to use when serving)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Handful of fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Sprinkle salmon with 2 teaspoons olive oil, salt, and pepper. Stir the tomatoes, shallots, lemon juice, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.

Place each salmon fillet in individual tinfoil packets. Twist the ends of the foil to create a boat-like structure around the salmon to hold in the tomato mixture. Spoon the tomato, shallot and lemon juice mixture over the salmon, evenly distributing among each fish packet. Then, fold the sides over to seal each packet closed. Place the fish packets on a heavy large baking sheet. Bake the salmon until cooked through, about 25 minutes. Using a large metal spatula, transfer the foil packets to their plates and serve or remove the fish from the foil and place directly on plate, spooning the leftover tomato mixture on top. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment