"LIFE ITSELF IS THE PROPER BINGE" - JULIA CHILD

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Sweet Potato & Black Bean Tacos

YOU MUST TRY THESE! The combination of black beans with sweet potato is killer, not to mention the added flavor of swiss cheese really brings in a totally new element.


 Who do I have to thank for this idea? Well I was over at the sorority a few days ago, hanging out with some girls who were all cooking together and my friend Lindsey Meloy was preparing these wonderful tacos. Yes I slightly adapted it by adding caramelized onions and cilantro but Lindsey and Cate definitely were the reason for why I recreated this gem of a recipe. After I stuck my nose in Lindsey's dinner and stole several bites (typical Lauren moment) I immediately bought the ingredients at the market so I could make it after school on Friday night for Laurel and Paul.


I must admit, right before preparing all the ingredients on Friday, I realized I bought the wrong sweet potatoes. I knew something was off when I cut into them and the lovely orange color wasn't there, just plain old white insides with no flavor at all. I guess what I bought were the real sweet potatoes, and I might try to make fries out of them, but I was utterly screwed if I didn't have the correct ones for the tacos. So I had Laurel pick up the right ones on her way over, and once I cut into them, I was amazed at the inside color. Look at how beautiful they were! All was right in my kitchen once again and I was ready to tackle this dinner so I could feed all three of our moaning bellies. 


Place the onion in a medium sized pan on very low heat. This process takes around 30 minutes because in order to create the caramelized texture, you must do so very slowly. Push them around with a metal spatula so that they never burn every 2 to 3 minutes. 


Depending on how big a fan you are of black beans, pour 1 to 2 cans of them in a pan to heat up.


I like to prep all the ingredients I'm using beforehand because it tends to make the process a little less daunting. Sometimes having to combine 3 or more steps overwhelms people, and in that case, I highly recommend chopping your onions, cutting the avocado into 1 inch squares, chopping the cilantro and wrapping the tortillas in tinfoil for when you want to warm them up in the oven.


Oh, and you can't forget the Chardonnay! Highly recommend this wine for any college students out there. It was surprisingly delicious, especially with this meal!


Once the onions begin to turn this beautiful, rich golden color, add about a teaspoon of white sugar to sweeten them up and further enrich the caramelizing process.


Cook the beans on medium heat. I added about 4 slices of swiss cheese early on to melt and combine. Don't be shy, the flavor is unbelievably good. 


Laurel and Paul looking miserable in the kitchen, waiting on the finished product!


Once the sweet potatoes had cooked all the way through in a 400 degree oven for 40 minutes, I scooped out the insides, leaving the skin behind and began to mash with a fork.


The tortillas were in the oven for about 10 minutes, and then I began to serve by placing a hefty dollop of sweet potato mash on top!


Paul is ready for the awesomeness :)


And here is the beautiful creation. Warmed tortillas with mashed sweet potato, swiss cheese infused black beans, diced avocado, caramelized onions and a little cilantro to top it off!

Ingredients:
3 medium sized sweet potatoes, cut lengthwise
2 white onions, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 or 3 avocados, diced
4-5 swiss cheese slices
handful of cilantro
olive oil 
pinch of sugar
white corn tortillas (do not buy Mission tortillas; buy fresh ones that bend easily)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut sweet potato lengthwise on a baking sheet and place into the oven for 35-40 minutes or until cooked all the way through.

Meanwhile, use 1 tbs. of olive oil and coat the chopped onion over medium heat in a medium sized pan. Reduce to low immediately and constantly stir so they do not burn. This whole process of caramelizing the onions will take about 30 minutes, so pay careful attention to them. Once the 15 minute mark approaches, use about 1 tbs. of granulated sugar and toss with onions. Continue to cook over low heat.
Pour the black beans into a pot and heat over medium heat. Add the swiss cheese and melt to combine. If they cook before everything else is done, take off the heat and when ready to assemble the tacos, reheat. 

Wrap tortillas in a tinfoil pouch and place in the oven with the sweet potatoes at 400 degrees. Monitor closely and remove after about 10 minutes. This cooking technique helps keep the tortillas warm and fresh without drying them out.

When the sweet potatoes have cooked all the way through, scrape out the insides and place into a bowl, like shown above. Mash with a fork until desired consistency is reached.

When finished, place the mashed sweet potato on warm tortillas and cover with black beens, caramelized onions, and avocado. Top off with cilantro and you are ready to serve!





3 comments:

  1. Now I know what I'm gonna have for dinner tomorrow. Grazie Lo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oo what a pretty blog you have! and i love the flavor combination of sweet potato and black beans...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you have a minute stop by my blog. I have an award for you:)

    Holly

    http://www.simplequintessentialcuisine.com/

    ReplyDelete