"LIFE ITSELF IS THE PROPER BINGE" - JULIA CHILD

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Apricot Shrimp Skewers


The other night, I had dinner over at my boyfriend, Dalton's parents house. His father, Bruce has become an amazing cook and was the genius who found this glorious recipe in Sunset Magazine. I must admit that Bruce was the one who showed me Sunset Magazine about a year ago and now I am officially obsessed. I know I have posted an overwhelming number of apricot recipes, and I am sorry for the individuals who aren't fans of the fruit, but wow they are my new favorite ingredient.

After being served this, I instantly had them copy me the recipe. I loved it so much I would have made it the day after for my family but I thought that would be a little excessive. So instead, I waited one day haha. Not very long, but I really wanted it again! Everyone in my family loved it as well. Definitely going to save this one!


Here the sesame oil, garlic, ginger, apricot jam, orange juice, lemon juice and soy sauce combine over the stove to create a lovely glaze.


Individually wrap the prosciutto around the shrimp after they have been deveined and thread onto the skewers, alternating apricot halves.

Remove the skewers after cooking on the grill for 8 minutes.


After letting the sauce sit for 15 minutes, the mixture thickens to create a lovely glaze that you can drizzle on top. 





Finally, top with chopped green onion for additional flavor and striking presentation.

This is a perfect seafood summer dish for a small or large group. What's great about this is everyone will think you slaved away in the kitchen in order to produce such delicious flavors, when in actuality the whole process is quite simple! I will be making this for a long time to come. Thanks Bruce!


Serves 4
Time 30 minutes

Ingredients:
2 tsp. Asian (toasted) sesame oil
1 tsp. each minced garlic AND fresh ginger
1/4 cup of apricot jam
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
16 paper thin slices prosciutto from the deli, cut in half lengthwise
24 large (26 to 30 lbs.) peeled and deveined shrimp
6 apricots, quartered
1/3 cup sliced green onions

Directions:

Soak 12 wooden skewers in warm water. Prepare grill for high heat. Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook the garlic and ginger until fragrant (about 2 minutes). Add jam, juices, and soy sauce and cook until simmering. Measure out 1/2 cup glaze; set rest aside in order to thicken.

Wrap prosciutto pieces around already deveined shrimp and thread onto a skewer. Alternate threading shrimp, then apricot. (I fit about 3 shrimp and 2 apricot halves on each skewer).

Cook shrimp skewers, turning as needed and brushing with reserved 1/2 cup glaze, until shrimp is opaque, 8 minutes. Sprinkle with onions and serve with extra glaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment