"LIFE ITSELF IS THE PROPER BINGE" - JULIA CHILD

Friday, June 17, 2011

Whole Wheat Honey Banana Bread


I'm just gonna say it. This is the first bread I've ever made. For 21 years, I've never made anything like banana, pumpkin or zuchinni bread. I admit, the idea of baking sweet bread was slightly overwhelming to me. Why? I don't know. Although now I see how simple it really is. Like way too easy. For how delicious it turned out, people must have thought I slaved away in the kitchen when in actuality the hardest part was hovering over the oven, checking the bread every ten minutes. Was it worth it? I'd say so. I mean the loaf seemed to vanish in one day.

My favorite part of making this whole wheat honey banana bread? Mashing the bananas! I added a little more banana than the recipe asked for cause I need lots of banana in every bite, and that's what I got.


Mashed bananas...yum. I think the best compliment I received was from my boyfriend, Dalton telling me that I am not able to make this bread again because he literally can't stop himself from eating the entire thing


Combine the whole wheat flour, wheat germ, cinnamon and other dry ingredients.


Add the bananas and honey (the best ingredients by far). Combine but don't over mix.


Fill your loaf pan with the mixture. Just because I always need to go overboard, I sprinkled brown sugar on top (definitely recommended) seeing as how this sweet bread is relatively healthy. Then top with your choice of nuts! I chose walnuts, but I also had candied pecans in the pantry that would have been quite scrumptious.

 I finally mastered my first sweet bread. What next? Pumpkin Bread? Mmmmhhhm.


Ingredients:

2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 Cup Wheat Germ
2 teaspoons baking powder
heaping 1 teaspoon cinnamon
generous pinch of salt
1/2 cup of honey
1/2 cup of canola oil
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
3 bananas, mashed

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease loaf pan.

Mix flour, wheat germ, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together (dry ingredients), and set aside. Whisk honey and oil very well to combine. Whisk in vanilla extract. Whisk in eggs one at a time and mix up very well. Then whisk in mashed banana quite well. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry, but be careful to not over-mix. Pour into loaf pan (and top with walnuts, pecans, sliced almonds etc.). I topped with brown sugar since the bread is only sweetened by the honey. Then I sprinkled walnuts which were just wonderful!

Bake for 40-45 minute or so rotating the pan in the middle of the bake-time.

No comments:

Post a Comment