"LIFE ITSELF IS THE PROPER BINGE" - JULIA CHILD

Monday, June 6, 2011

Strawberry Galette


Everywhere I look I see strawberries. Like I've mentioned before, I spend my days usually reading up on the latest recipes and following my beloved food bloggers. It seems like everyone, and I mean everyone, has been consuming the delicious summer fruit. I even read one article which supplied 100 strawberry recipes. And yes, this strawberry galette made it on the list.

Making pie crust is a difficult task. Just now am I starting to understand the many tricks that are involved in creating the perfect, buttery, soft, flaky pie crust. For this recipe I really wanted a buttery one so I read up and chose one that called for 2 sticks of butter. I just LOVE the stuff! At first I was a little skeptical but holy crap, it turned out good. Like exceptionally good. I even blew myself away with this one.

Once I was finished, I immediately laminated the strawberry galette recipe and will definitely be referring back to it for next summer. What's great about this pie dough is if you make double or even triple the amount, you will have a wonderful dough that can be made into traditional pies, a galette, or even made into sweet fries. I just read on Oven Love about how you can thinly slice pie dough to coat in sugar and cinammon before baking. Then you have sweet fries which you can dip in homemade whipped cream. Why haven't I made these yet? Good thing I have some left over dough waiting at home in the freezer!   


Before preparing the galette, let the sliced strawberries sit in cornstarch and sugar for a little while. This will help sweeten and thicken their juices.


I usually don't have photos of myself in the kitchen doing my thing, but here you go! Here I am trying to perfectly assemble each piece of fruit. The dough is very delicate so you have to leave plenty of room around for the dough to wrap around it. When you are ready, drizzle some of the remaining fruit juice over the strawberries.


Strawberry Galette:
  inspired by The Comfort of Cooking

Ingredients:
15-20 strawberries, stems removed and slices
3 tbs. white sugar
 2 tsp. corn starch
1 egg, beaten

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Clean the strawberries, remove stems and slice. Don't slice too thin because you want the strawberries to keep their shape. Place the sliced strawberries in a bowl and toss in cornstarch and sugar. Gently stir until the berries are covered completely.

Roll out the pie crust. Layer the berries, overlapping each other inside the pie crust starting one inch from the edge. Fold the edge of the dough over the strawberries to assemble the rustic pie. Brush the dough with the beaten egg to prevent the dough from unraveling. Sprinkle all over with 1 tbs. of sugar. Bake for 35-40 minutes and remove from the oven. Let it cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing. Serve with homemade whipped cream.

*For the homemade whipped cream, whip 1 cup of heavy cream until peaks form. Gradually add 1/4 cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Spread on top of the galette once out of the oven. A really nice compliment to the warm rustic pie.

*If you are going to make your own crust, refer to Martha Stewart's Pate Brisee. That is what I used and it was lovely!

2 comments:

  1. YES!! Ever since you sent me a picture of this I've been dying for the recipe!! It looks amazing Lo, well done!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomoko! You should definitely make it! I have made so many pies before and this one was exceptional, especially since strawberries are in season. The people I served it to were blown away!

    ReplyDelete